Monday, October 29, 2012

Fall hike

This past weekend we had our annual church camp.  The leaves were very nice, and I was able to get lots of pictures.  There is a hiking trail that goes part way around the camp and it goes through some nice woods.  The first day I hiked it was cloudy, damp and cool, the second day the wind had dried everything out, and the sun had come out, but it was colder.
 
 
 
 
Here is the driveway looking toward the camp exit.
 
 
 
My knife.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
American Beech (Fagus grandifolia)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The leaf in the center is Sassafras (Sassafras albidum), a very useful plant.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Wild turkey (Meleagris gallopavo).  I had been seeing turkey sign the whole time, then I saw these out in a corn field close to the end of the trail.
 
 
 
 
 







Plantain (Plantaginaceae).  Plantain has a host of medicinal uses.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Yellow- Poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera).
 
 
 
 
 
 
I think the trail was about a mile long, and it had some easy ups and downs, I was glad to be able to explore some new territory.

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures, Sam! Beautiful colors, scenery and variety. Really brings me back to my "past life" in the Eastern US. Sunny fall days there can be just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Fall is my favorite season and the South East is very nice at this time of year. God has created an amazing variety of colors in outdoors.

    ReplyDelete